Monday 3 February 2014

Unsinkable: Episode Six (On The Road Again)

In this episode I get properly fitted for my road bike using Body Geometry Fit at BikeNow (South Melbourne). I did this just as I was beginning to cycle again and ramp up my cross training. The episode also features the Victorian Institute of Sport cycling camp in Anglesea in October 2013 where we cycled 415km in 3 days. If you want to read more about specific data from that weekend have a look HERE


Chris Nikodemski and Stewart Morton did a great job working with me using Body geometry fit. The biggest improvement to my bike setup was made by fitting a new seat. Might not seem important, however for any guy who has ever had numbness on a bike in areas where there shouldn't be numbness they will understand that this can make cycling uncomfortable. Chris explained to me that this numbness is caused by a saddle which is too narrow and pinches blood vessels to an area which blood flow is rather important. The reduced blood flow can lead to long term damage...  So If I could offer one suggestion to anybody who experiences numbness, go and get a new seat tomorrow. You will not regret it I PROMISE. The guys at BikeNow will be able to point you in the right direction. I also was able to adjust my cleats to a more advantageous position and allow less use of my calf and more glute activation therefore improving my power output, which as an athlete is the aim of the game. 


Enjoy the episode. 

Cheers, John 






No comments:

Post a Comment