Thursday 30 January 2014

720 days ago....

Hello,
Hope this finds you all well.

720 days.... the number of days for me between racing at a regatta. 

In february of 2012 I raced at the NSW state champs in the mens four and mens pair. It was basically the last rowing I did before withdrawing from olympic selection and undergoing major surgery. At the 2012 NSW state champs i raced reasonably well in the mens four and I was optimistic following the racing that maybe I could scrape into the national team for that year and head to London. However, I can vividly remember the pain I was in travelling from sydney to canberra that evening post racing. My legs were screaming at me, It was horrible. I put it down to multiple races that day. However the next day when trying to do a recovery 60km ride with a few of the guys I did realise something was not right. My legs were in agony trying to ride at 20km/h on a flat road. I struggled through the next 10 or so days with severe pain, until the point I accepted what may have been happening. I booked myself in for a doppler ultrasound to learn that while my calf was flexed my popliteal artery was completely occluded. This explained the pain I was getting. Effectively while trying to row and train, my lower leg was being starved of oxygen, hence following an intense day of racing, my legs were completely stuffed. This was a problem first encountered in early 2010 resulting in two surgical procedures which I believed had solved the problem. So to learn that the problem was once again occurring was frustrating to say the least.

That was back then. Since that regatta, I have undergone 3 major procedures on each leg, spent weeks in hospital and at home unable to even walk, hundreds of physiotherapy, massage and doctors appointments. Spent more time in rehabilitation than in training. Turned myself into a half crazy kid (some may suggest more than half), pushed people close to may away and concerned those around me.

But this saturday i am racing again in Penrith at the NSW small boats regatta which will be the first step towards putting it all behind me. I have put myself through extreme physical and emotional pain over the last 2 years by being determined not to give up. This weekend will be an indication of how I am progressing, hopefully it suggests things are on the right track heading towards the National selection trials in late April this year.

To say I am nervous is an understatement. Following my injuries in 2012 I decided to make the move from sweeping to sculling, and this weekend will be the first ever 2km race in the single and double scull which is enough to make me nervous despite the long period since I last raced.

I will leave it there for now. Be sure to check in early next week, I will be sure to write about it all and let you know how it went.

Wish me luck.

Cheers, John

No comments:

Post a Comment