Wednesday 26 March 2014

Open Mens Single at National Champs



My result yesterday in the final of the single scull was not what I had hoped for by any means. I finished a disappointing 8th and was significantly off the pace. Having had 24 hours to reflect I am well aware of what I need to do better prior to selection trials in a month to give myself the best possible chance to avoid a similar outcome. What is frustrating for me at the moment is that my performance yesterday was significantly hindered by how I was feeling physically. During the warm up of the semi final on Tuesday I knew that something was not right, I was not getting any easy speed and I just felt off. This is compared to the heat on Sunday where I felt great and was on top of my game both in the warm up and in the race. However, through 1250m of the semi I 100% knew that something was not right at all. I was in a bad place physically and I was struggling to just keep moving, it was something more debilitating than I had never experienced before. Fortunately I was able to hang on and finish 3rd in a tight race and qualify for the final and such for the world championship selection trials in April. However post race I was in another world of hurt. I managed to limp back to the nearest pontoon but not before being incredibly sick over the side of the boat. For a good hour I was struggling to just move. For whatever reason, I had scraped the bottom of the barrel to get across the line and it would cost me the following day.

Semi final 


As athletes prior to a major final, you have the ability to convince yourself you are ok and everything is as it should be, but in reality yesterday I was in struggle street and mid way through the race I was completely spent and was limping home to the finish. The result is what it is, but the most disappointing part of this is that I wasn’t able to physically get stuck into things. What I do know is that my preparation needs to be better next time and it is a reminder of how fickle it all is, that if you make a few small errors by not taking care of yourself in the weeks leading into the regatta, the cost can be huge.

Thankfully I have time to recover and have been allowed some down time prior to the second half of the regatta comprising the Men’s interstate 8 (Kings Cup) and the world cup events of which I am competing in the double and quad scull.  Last night I slept for over 12 hours and hopefully after a quiet day today I will be recharged and ready to go for the race for lanes in the double scull tomorrow but most importantly the interstate 8 on Saturday before the finals of the double and quad scull on Sunday in the world cup. These 3 finals are sure to provide some entertaining finishes and I am really looking forward to being a part of it and seeing what is possible.


Cheers, John

No comments:

Post a Comment