Saturday 28 September 2013

Recent Training data and pics

Hello all.
Just a short post updating you on the last two weeks. Things are progressing very well physically.
My data from the Wattbike shows things are tracking in the right direction, and more importantly my legs are not struggling with any ill vascular symptoms which is a very promising for me!! (YAY) Yesterday's training session prior to attending the AFL grand final was the 66th 30minute effort i have done on the wattbike since my last surgery.

On the wattbike at the VIS with Fergus Pragnell 

100,007 people at the AFL grand final. 

My average power for all these sessions combined is 309W with an average heart rate of 159.  This month i have done 54 hours and 45 minutes of training which is a combination of Wattbike, road bike, MTB riding, MTB commuting and also swimming. Not trying to bore you all with figures which may make little sense, but simply trying to give an insight into the type and volume of training that I have been doing. This graph below shows the wattbike sessions for those interested.






At the moment each day and each week is a challenging balancing act. I aim to do as much training as possible each day, while ensuring that I do not push too far and end up having to miss the next two days of training. The limiting factor for me is my calf muscular endurance. They will be fine, right up to the point at which they fatigue, when it is then crucial i let them rest and recover before training again, repeating this cycle each time gaining more strength and endurance. I feel that having been through these rehabilitation periods a few times now, I am better able to step back and make sure I am doing enough without pushing too far. I know that my 19 year old self would not be managing the training load as wisely as I currently am.


What has been very enjoyable over the last two weeks is that my leg strength has progressed to the point where I have been able to get out and do some longer rides on both my MTB and my road bike. Although i have been spending lots of time in the gym on the Wattbike, it doesn't mean I love it. More just something that needed to be done. Hopefully now I will continue progressing and will be able to spend less time inside and more time out on the bike, perfect timing really as the weather starts to warm. 

On monday last week, Tom Swann and I drove to Anglesea on the Victorian coast and spent the day riding our mountain bikes through the forrest. You can view where we ventured by clicking on this link ' MTB ANGLESEA ' We had a fun and challenging day riding, for the cycling enthusiasts we gained 1400m of elevation and my average heart rate for 4 hours was 140bpm. I feel it is important to mention that to ensure you are not reading and imagining Tom and I peacefully riding around at snails pace taking in the scenery. This was a very good 'escape' for both of us from Melbourne and we will be back there before too long. Here are some pics from the day. 





Somewhere behind Anglesea

Me posing for a photo. Felt like a better photo at the time.

Tom thoroughly enjoying his lunch in town mid ride.


 I spent 4 hours trying to catch up to Tom.

 'Hardcore'



For now, every training session that i complete without feeling any vascular restrictions in my legs gives me more confidence that things are going to be ok, and the dreaded condition is behind me once and for all. This helping put my mind more and more at ease, thus helping improve day to day living.

Any questions please fire away, and as always thanks for following and reading.
Cheers, John

No comments:

Post a Comment