Thursday 11 July 2013

Week 3 post op. Reflecting and getting back in the gym


This week has been an improvement from last week from a physical point of view. Last week i spent the majority of my time stuck in bed and on the couch. You will soon see in the video below footage of me sliding around the house, this was because it was too painful to even stand up let alone be able to walk. A bit too much information maybe, but to give an example I was actually urinating in bottles beside my bed for a few days simply due to the effort required and pain associated to get to the bathroom was too great. This made me feel pretty shit about life, and a world away from some of my rowing mates in northern Italy who were posting pictures on social media while on training camp in Varese, a town i spent 6 weeks living in 2011 prior to the world championships. Seeing them doing what i had hoped to be doing this year is tough to stomach. To combat this I decided to reflect through some pictures of me last time I was in europe rowing in 2011. 


Ready to hit the water in Varese, Italy.

 Training in Varese. 

Amazing place to train.

Lucas Neil, Socceroos captain was even lucky enough to spend 
some time with us and joined us on the water one afternoon.

Relaxing by the pool on a day off, life was good. 

 Racing in Bled, Slovenia. World Championships

The finish of our race at worlds in 2011 (4th place). To the guys in the boat
 with me sorry for posting this, but i want to share this as it gives me all 
the motivation i need to do it again only better. 




Being stuck in bed made me very bored and resulted with a frustrated individual which did not help some unfortunate relationship issues I was dealing with, so made for a very tough week. Thankfully this week I am now able to stand up and slowly walk about and also drive. Driving has allowed me to get into the Victorian Institute of Sport each day to do a mixture of upper body weights and core stability exercises, along with some cardiovascular training on a swimming ergometer. My scars are not yet healed well enough to risk infection from swimming in the pool. I have put together a video showing some of the activities I have been completing. Being able to involve myself in physical activity again has been great, and has helped ease my bored and frustrated mind to some degree. 




The session on the swimming ergo was my first session back in the gym post op and I decided to do a 30min max effort to get a benchmark that i can compare to over the next few months during my training until i can really get stuck into training and begin testing myself on the Wattbike. This was a good idea prior to starting it.. Thinking about it, this decision to go hard first session probably gives an you an insight into some of my personality traits, I know a few of my rowing mates will have something to say about this. (comment away)
 Even though you can see i am moving around now. I am still a number of weeks away from being able to start slowly on a stationary bike which is what i so desperately want. 


I hope you enjoyed the visual aspect in this post, i hope that as this goes on, i will become more skilled at being able to edit a video and pick out some good stuff for you to view, as i am sure it is better watching than having to read my posts. 

Also, thanks to Olympic Ayres for allowing me to use their song daylight in my video. 



Cheers, Linke



No comments:

Post a Comment