Sunday 28 July 2013

What a difference a week can make!

Hi,
From my post last sunday to now it is exciting to start seeing some (slow) progress and improvements in many aspects. I had a physio appointment earlier today and apart from the expected aches and pains post major surgery, things are as they should be which is alway supporting to hear.

While my scars are still playing up and are yet to heal and i can still not swim (or show the scars in public) I have been able to start back on a Wattbike the past few days. On the scars, last night i had some fun pulling out 2 stitches. Stitches which should never have been removed by the way. For some reason my body seems to be rejecting the foreign materials in my leg, resulting in pieces of fishing line and string protruding from my leg on random occasions. I feel I have shared enough pictures of the scars and I fear the ear bashing from females I will cop for posting another so will leave it with just a description.

On my progress, I can now sit on the wattbike for 10 minutes at around 100-130watts, this feels comfortable however I am in no rush to push things so will continue to take it easy for a while longer. I am now one day short of 5 weeks post op, however in terms of soft tissue healing, for the trauma i went through, it would be at least 3 months before the tissue really heals and even another 3 months from that until the physiotherapists suggest 100% healing. For those of you familiar with power output on a bike, 100 watts is bugger all however to just be able to move my legs is a good feeling and it is progress from only a few weeks ago when i was unable to walk at all.

I have also been spending some time on the Alter G treadmill that is located at the Victorian Institute of Sport. This machine can alter the weight of your body while walking or running. For me it is very useful and i have been walking at 50% body weight and concentrating on proper gait patterns and working some range back into my calves which are still very stiff. The photo below shows this machine (with me looking very happy) which is much easier than me trying to explain it.



I am also spending considerable time and effort working my upper body and core in the gym. Typically I will spend the morning session completing a circuit based session targeting high repetitions and intensity in the exercises. As an example, this morning i spent 40 minutes continuously completing upper body and core activities, to give you some idea of the intensity for the 40 minutes my average heart rate was 148bpm. And this afternoon I will head in again and do some strength based exercises along with some more stability based activities. Over the coming weeks it is planned that i will have another video to share with you, and this will include some footage of these activities for those of you who are interested so stay tuned for that.

As a side note, the reason I am so keen on working hard in the gym at the moment is not only to start to return my physical state to that of what is required, but for the benefit it gives mentally. To be able to exercise in some capacity is having a significant positive influence on my mental state. This is something that should never be underestimated. I would hope that all of you reading this would be aware of the chemicals 'endorphins' that are released during exercise. If not then i suggest you do a google search. The pleasure associated with exercise is something that for somebody who craves it so much to not be able too is pretty tough, so to be at a point now where i can feel good from completing a solid intensive workout is fantastic even if it is just upper body for now. This has and will result in less mood swings going forward along with fewer restless nights unable to sleep due to just not being tired.

Also just briefly on the mental aspect, yesterday I went for a drive down the coast to Lorne to get out of the city, get a burger from my favourite burger place 'bottle of milk', went for a swim which lasted 6 minutes before i succumbed to antarctic conditions and I also spent some time driving around the hills behind Lorne exploring. Being unable to spend hours on my road bike which is such a release for me, i figured a long drive exploring was possibly the next best option to fill my sunday. For those of you from around here, these photos will show where i was. It really is a nice part of the world, and to get out into the Otway forrest can be a great place to just escape from everything for a few hours.






For now that is all, it is time for a quick nap before heading to the gym again, however without stopping by my good friends at BikeNow on the way to pass on my hard earned as I have decided to purchase a new 29er MTB as a present to myself for dealing with all the shit of the last 6 months. Retail therapy at its best i guess. Although I am excited for when i am able to ride again to do some cross country riding, something I have not done since i was a kid. So there is a logical reason to be buying another bike....

Stay tuned for some exciting upcoming video posts.
Be in touch again soon.
Regards, John


No comments:

Post a Comment