Wednesday 7 May 2014

National selection trials wash up. Speaking honestly..

Hi all,

This is not the post I envisaged I would be writing post trials...

No beating around the bush, unfortunately last week things did not pan out as I had hoped and I was not selected onto the Australian Rowing Team. Instead, I was nominated as the reserve for the men's quadruple scull. I understand that this is a good accomplishment, and just prior to sitting down to write this post I watched  Unsinkable: Episode Three and reflected on where I was during the middle of last year: being unable to walk, let alone contemplate rowing. However, I have always set high standards for myself and will continue to do so which means currently I am coming to terms with the fact I will not be racing at the 2014 World Championships later this year. I need to reset my goals going forward; which are now to get back into training and find some improved form prior to traveling to Europe to compete at the Henley Royal Regatta in the UK, and then World Rowing Cup 3 in Switzerland where I will race in the single scull. Following this I will return back to Australia for another training stint prior to heading over to Amsterdam to support the team in any way they need me. Essentially my role is to support the Australian men's quadruple scull and make sure they are always able to hit the water in training if one guy is sick or sore for a session or two. 

**Please do not  misunderstand the following - what is written may be interpreted as excuses but I call it reality and I understand why things occurred**
So, things are not all bad and it is important I focus on all the positives in my rowing. However I cannot help but touch on the last 6 weeks and talk on how things panned out for me. Following the NSW state championships and selection into the World Rowing Cup 1 team where I was able to perform well and win the men's quad (as shown in Unsinkable: Episode Eleven), unfortunately the wheels came off. During Nationals in late March I became unwell and as a result was withdrawn from the Australian men's double scull. Upon returning back to Melbourne for training and getting over the illness I was struck down with a chest injury, initially suspected to be a bone stress fracture. It turned out to be muscular/joint problems in my back referring pain to my chest and making it very uncomfortable to even simply take a deep breath. I missed 10 days out of the boat and unfortunately it was at a crucial time just prior to the national selection trials regatta. As a result of the injury I 'lightened' my rig in the boat and essentially geared it lighter to prevent any more injury. This changed the feel significantly in the single scull and unfortunately with just 6 rows with this new set up prior to racing I struggled in the race and didn't meet my performance standards. Then moving forward into the double scull rotation I struggled to find the rhythm and feel I was so desperately searching for that I had found just two months prior. Due to the illness and injury I had not spent any time in the double in the previous two months, so I was slightly off my game and as a result finished last in the rotation and subsequently find myself where I am today. In this sport at the highest level it's a small margin between success and failure.

Since 2011 I estimate I have rowed for less than 33% of the time until earlier this year. In 2012-13 I didn't row for more than 3 months of each year. Therefore my body simply was not able to cope with the training load that was placed on it upon my return to training. I felt earlier in the season I was able to perform at a reasonable level and feel good physically, but as the season progressed the lack of conditioning over the last few years caught up with me and bit me in the bum. This was especially the case when I went to put my foot down and train hard for trials, where my body just said no and essentially packed it in! In the end, the result is far from a disaster, and as I mentioned above I will continue to set high standards and perform to the best of my ability and give it all another go next year. 

Stay posted for the 12th and final Unsinkable: The Race To Recovery web series episode this Monday, giving you a first-hand account of the most recent period of my life. 

Thanks for all the support over the last 10 months as I have opened up and blogged about my journey so far. Every like on social media or comment of encouragement I have received really makes a difference and I appreciate your support.

Cheers, John 

No comments:

Post a Comment