Monday 24 June 2013

Whats this all about? An Introduction

My Name is John Linke. I am 25 years old and living in Melbourne. I am an elite rower and represented Australia at the 2010 and 2011 World Rowing Championships. I have a very colourful injury list which has heavily impacted my rowing career dating back to my first Australian U23 team in 2007. Before going any further I will briefly outline the major highlights. 

2006- Shoulder Reconstruction (left)
2008- Shoulder Reconstruction (left)
2009- Shoulder Arthroscopy (left)
2010- Popliteal Artery Release x2 (bilateral)
2011- Hip Arthroscopy- bone shave, labrul repair (right) 
2012- Popliteal Artery Release (bilateral)
2013- Popliteal Artery Release (bilateral)

The shoulder surgeries 06, 08 and 09 were all as a result of a dislocation while playing AFL and the operations are self explanatory. At the time they were a big deal and resulted in me missing the 2009 national team and many months of training. However they were nothing compared to what has followed.
The leg surgeries I have had on a rare and complicated issue have been seriously beyond a joke. I have had a condition called popliteal artery entrapment. The popliteal artery is the main artery supplying blood to the lower leg, and in simple terms- the problem occurs when the calf muscle contracts during movement and pinches the artery closed ceasing blood flow below the knee. A rather painful and debilitating condition causing a whole range of issues that I will save for another time. 

I have had both my surgeons to date suggest to me that I need to retire from sport and live a more sedentary lifestyle. This was not something i was willing to consider. So after locating another surgeon with a more cutting edge procedure, surgery was decided upon.

Tomorrow morning I am having my 5th (and hopefully final) procedure to rectify this condition and
to cut to the chase, The reason for this blog is that i intend to provide an honest insight into my rehabilitation post op and enlighten you as to what I will go through from now to what I hope will be a successful return to the national team. 

Tomorrow at 8am I go under the knife and will have my plantaris removed and a piece of my soleus cut and folded on top of itself. This is on both legs. The plan being that this will rectify the problem and let me put this rare and complex condition behind me.

Also, i am hopefully my posts can only improve from here..

Wish me luck. 




1 comment: