Monday 18 November 2013

Recent Training

Hi everyone, 
Just a really brief post to share with you my last three weeks of training. I am really enjoying being back in the boat. My last two sessions I have completed 12km in the single scull and have felt reasonably comfortable. My next step of progression is to begin rowing each day of the week, compared to alternate days which I am currently doing. Following that will include adding some intensity during the on water sessions. The photo below is from my row yesterday, as you can see the sun has finally returned to Melbourne which makes training much more pleasant. 



Below is a screen shot of my garmin connect calendar, i find it very useful to track my sessions using this and it gives me a weekly training time which is useful to monitor my progression and periodisation. This also will give you an understanding of what training and how much training I have been doing. 


Lastly, on Sunday I returned to the Dandenongs for the first time in 5 months and gave an all out effort up the 1:20 climb. May not mean much to all of you, but this is a popular strava segment and I was able to achieve a PB by holding 470 watts for over 14 minutes. I also had some help from other elite rowers and Karsten Fosterling did some mean turns on the front during this climb to help achieve the PB.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to post a comment below and I will do my best to answer it. I am also looking forward to sharing my next episode with you on friday so stay tuned for that.
Cheers for now, John


7 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    Remarkable story. Very inspirational! I am also looking to make it as far as I can in rowing but have been dealing with a nagging overuse injury for some time now (nothing compared to yours though)…just wondering, what was your PB 2k ergo score before the condition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CHsu,
    Thank you very much for your support. It means a lot to me to receive positive feedback.
    My PB 2km ergo score is 5:46 which I set in 2011.
    I hope you are able to sort out your injury and reach your full potential as a rower.
    Cheers, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5:46? Woah…Anyways, thanks a bunch and keep your head up! You're an inspiration to more people than you know.

      Delete
    2. Thank you CHsu, I appreciate every single piece of support I receive. It all makes a real difference. If you wanted to help support me, by sharing my blog and the unsinkable episodes with your friends you are helping me greatly and is much appreciated.
      Cheers, John

      Delete
    3. Definitely. I first came across this blog a bit before this actually, and sent it to a couple friends who were injured. They were getting a bit frustrated as is natural, and I think reading about your injury and battle to overcome helped!

      Delete
  3. Hi John, Really Really enjoying your blog. How Important do you think weights are in rowing? Would I better off with Mileage on the bike and on the erg/boat than weights and then is it strength weights or what? Because I see you pulled a 5.46. Thats a Massssssive score. Where would you attribute those results to? Thanks. Hope you realise your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crosse, Thanks for the feedback. I think weights are very important to help achieve general strength for rowing. They are are also crucial to help minimise the risk of developing injury during training. When completing long km's on the bike and especially in the boat or on the erg you are at increased risk of back injury etc, doing weights and improving your core strength not only reduces this risk but also improves your posture in the boat. I would attribute that score to years of consistent training and working hard everyday to improve my cardio vascular fitness, remember it all takes time to improve and developing consistent training patterns over an extended period is 90% of the challenge in rowing. If you can do the required training at the appropriate intensity consistently you are well on your way to reaching your potential. Hope this helps. Cheers, John

    ReplyDelete