Wednesday 27 November 2013

Pushing Boundaries...

Hello all,

Just a quick update on where I am currently up to. 
Every athlete will know that every day is an attempt to do as much training as possible to produce the biggest physiological and technical gains, all while not overdoing it to the point you become sick or injured and end up missing training time. 

For me, having multiple operations this year and missing significant periods of training time, I am in a race against the clock to find my boat speed before march/april next year. Over the last few weeks I have been putting in some solid sessions in the boat, on the bike, in the gym and in the pool. I have been challenging myself to ensure I return to full rowing fitness asap. Unfortunately it turns out I may have pushed slightly too far. Over the last 10 days I knew I was starting to fatigue and felt flat even after periods of rest. Over the weekend just been I took things very quietly and I did little training. I felt this would be enough to bounce back and feel fresh, however yesterday I woke up feeling very average and sick. This leaves me with no choice but to rest for a few days and take it easy until my body lets me know it is ready to start training again.

In regards to the workload I have been doing, it is not anything more than I have done in the past, it is just that I am coming from such a depleted state that clearly I have not been able to maintain my health like I expected I may have been able too. It is very frustrating when you are sick and unable to exercise, but as i learnt during periods of post op when I was unable to exercise, coming out of this and exercising again makes it all the more pleasurable. This does serve as a reminder to me, but maybe also to some of you as readers that our body's are not machines and it is important to monitor and manage ourselves to ensure that every now and again we give ourselves the down time we need from both work and exercise.  

**not to the extent that dan has though....



Cheers, John 

No comments:

Post a Comment